FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
18 January 2010
Sarah Greene to head up The Scientist
Sarah Greene, publishing and new media entrepreneur, is to become Editor-in-Chief of The Scientist magazine. Sarah brings 25 years’ experience and strong editorial, business and leadership skills to this high profile appointment, and an unparalleled depth of specialist knowledge in biology and medicine.
Sarah most recently cofounded and was Managing Editor at the Journal of Participatory Medicine, a revolutionary Open Access journal seeking to transform the culture of medicine. Her previous appointments include Director of Online Health at the New York Times, President of Praxis Press and founder and publisher of Current Protocols and HMS Beagle. Sarah takes over from Richard Gallagher at the helm of The Scientist. Richard described his seven years in the role as “enjoyable and fulfilling” and said it is “the best job in science publishing”. He is moving to head up a new Custom Publishing unit for The Scientist.
The Scientist, the leading professional magazine for life scientists, publishes reviews of hot papers, the latest information on research, technology updates and careers as well as profiles of scientists to watch. The Scientist also publishes the greatly anticipated “Best Places” survey series. Sarah’s new role will include strengthening The Scientist’s online presence and overseeing closer ties with Faculty of 1000, the popular and respected international post-publication peer review service.
Sarah said, “I am thrilled by the challenges and opportunities presented by this exciting new role. The Scientist is already a great magazine and I’m looking forward to working with the Faculty of 1000 team in London to make it even better.”
Vitek Tracz, Chairman of Science Navigation Group, said of Sarah, “I have worked closely with her on some of my most ambitious, difficult and important projects, and she is the one of the most inventive, intelligent, talented and inspiring people I know. We are delighted that she is joining us to run The Scientist.”
+1 215 351 1660
Twitter: @TheScientistLLC and @f1000
Notes to Editors
- The Scientist magazine, http://www.the-scientist.com, is the magazine for life science professionals. Our mission is to provide compelling print and online coverage of the latest developments in the life sciences including research, technology and business. Our target audience is active researchers that are interested in maintaining a broad view of the life sciences by reading articles that are current, concise, accurate and entertaining.
- Faculty of 1000, http://f1000.com, is a unique online service that helps scientists and clinicians stay informed. Our distinguished international faculty of over 5000 top-ranked researchers elect, evaluate and provide opinion on key articles across the life sciences, bringing you a rapidly updated, authoritative guide to the literature that matters.
- The Science Navigation Group is a group of independent companies that publish and develop information and services for the professional biomedical community. We cater to clients as various as physicians, scientists, pharmaceutical companies, patients, students and the general public. The Group has its head office in London, with additional offices in Philadelphia, New Jersey, Geneva, Amsterdam and Tel Aviv.
- Please name The Scientist and/or Faculty of 1000 in any story you write. If you are writing for the web, please link to http://www.the-scientist.com/ and http://f1000.com.
- Please contact Stephanie Eaves at email@example.com for a complimentary journalist subscription to The Scientist.
- Please contact Steve Pogonowski at firstname.lastname@example.org for a complimentary journalist subscription to Faculty of 1000.